Monday 12 September 2011

Perving on Tom Waits...

Yes he may be in his 60s, but Tom Waits voice still makes me melt..

I seem to have heard his music a bit over the past few years and always think 'wow, I should listen to more of his stuff..' and I never have.

My boyfriend got me a new Ipod for my birthday, and around the time I was filling it, we found a video online of  the Cookie Monster  basically cut to look like he was singing God's Away On Business by Tom Waits. This spurred me on to download a ton of his music.

Currently I have Swordfishtrombones on my Ipod, and am planning to learn that off by heart, then move on to something else. My favorite tracks so far are Underground, 16 Shells From A Thirty-Ought Six , In The Neighbourhood.

 One thing that caught my eye whilst reading up on Tom Waits, is a weird looking  animated musical  called The Monster Of Nix, which features Tom as the voice of a big scary-arse bird...It's by a Dutch filmmaker called Rosto, and also features the voice of ex-Monty Python star Terry Gilliam.

The trailer I saw looked really pretty, like what I imagine Tim Burton could do if he sorted his act out a bit...
It's being shown at the BFI in South Bank, London from 12th October to 27th October so I'm gonna do my best to get down there and see that.

I seem to be discovering old music that I've overlooked more than I discover new music nowadays. Maybe I should start listening to the radio more on weekends. We have Radio 1 on at work, and it makes for bearable background noise, but I don't often hear much I wanna run home and download. Maybe I should ask if the office would mind me having a rotation of radio stations!

No comments:

Post a Comment