Wednesday 14 December 2011

Rant time!

Rant No1

Just heard Leona Lewis' cover version of Hurt... God it made me furious!

Honestly, hearing Johnny Cash cover that song should have put anyone off! I don't know how she expects to measure up to that!

I do like the original Nine Inch Nails version, but when Johnny Cash sung it, with stripped back instrumentation, and his voice cracking with age and emotion, I defy anyone not to well up! His voice is obviously not as rich and strong as it once was, which makes it all the more poignant, and you can feel every drop of emotion as he sings about his past regrets.

This new, hideous version is sung in a way that seems like she's more interested in showing off her vocal range with lots of 'whispery-whispery... LOUD!' kinda dynamics... Really, if you could hear the song playing in the background, you wouldn't notice the lyrics. Such a waste. And the instrumentation is blandy-bland-bland, wishy-washy orchestral pap.... I can't actually believe how insipid she had made such a heartstring-tugging song!

I don't even wanna see the video, after Cash's brilliant effort. I remember my Nan in tears seeing that video, as she remembers him as a good looking young hellraiser, and to see him as an ill old man looking back on his life is so heart-wrenching. Oh, it's just a travesty that she'd think to cover it!

It's like eating dry bread, when you've previously had wonderful gourmet sandwiches! Just awful!

As my Nan remembered him :')


Rant No2

I've seen a lot of articles getting upset about the Dragon Tattoo clothes collection from H&M, as it's based on the style of the character Lisbeth Salander... The issue seems to be that, in the book and film it's made clear she dresses as she does as she's a rape victim and wants to kinda 'harden' herself. So apparently this means it's not politically correct to like the aesthetic appearance of her clothes...

I dress in what could be called a fairly tough, 'unfeminine' way.. Boots, piercings, leather jackets, lots of black, mainly because I like this look. I'm also slightly aware that my bias against being traditionally 'feminine' maybe influenced by my past.

I hit puberty very early... Like, at 9 years old I bought my first 32A bra, and I was a C cup by the age of about 12. And I did look very old for my age, to be fair. So I had a lot of male attention for my body, before I was mature enough to know how to handle it.
Only 10ish years later have I realised that maybe thats why I begrudge my curvy figure and like to cover up in boyish clothes. I'm tired of being 'that girl with big tits' or being treated like a floozy by men...

Yet, if someone compliments my dress sense, I wouldn't think of going on a rant, saying "How dare you, do you not realise this is my armour against the world!"
I still choose my clothes by aesthetics, I still like what I wear and my style. Yes, sometimes I'd love the be the carefree girl dancing at a festival in nowt but a bikini, but I accept I dont have the confidence for that, so I'm happy wearing what I wear...

So I'll be hitting H&M on payday, to buy a pair of jeans, a hoodie, and maybe a leather jacket from the Dragon Tattoo collection, because, whether worn as social armour or not, those clothes are fucking awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment